The number one thing my couples ask me is “What do we do for our engagement session?!”. If engagement sessions feel odd to you or leave you feeling like you don’t have a clue how to pose, where to go or what to do….that is a-okay. You’re newly engaged and chances are you’re doing this all for the first time! That ring on your finger is crazy powerful but it didn’t come with buckets of knowledge on how to do all of this. So let me lend a hand!
Engagement sessions are my favorite part of my entire Wedding Experience. Here are a few tips and tricks I’ve learned along the way!
1. Don’t try to MATCH…try to pick outfits and accessories that coordinate instead. If everyone wore the same exact color at their e-shoot, how boring would those images be?
2. Don’t be afraid to be BOLD! Accessorize and make your outfits your own! Scarves, bold necklaces and fun shoes are always welcomed!
3. Patterns vs. Graphics. MOST PATTERNS are actually ok….however, graphics are not favorable for portraits. If you’re wearing a pattern, make sure it’s not overwhelming and distracting.
4. Get Inspired! Be sure to check out my Pinterest boards for more outfit inspiration if you’re having trouble!
5. Empty your pockets! Literally. You don’t want to have key chains or phones showing through your pockets. (This is for the guys especially!)
6. Mix it up! Most often, couples like to have one casual, everyday outfit and then one outfit that is dressier! This will give your shoot two totally different “looks”. I recommend beginning with the dressy outfit first!
7. Be Comfortable! Make sure you’re comfortable in what you’re wearing. And ladies, if the top is super low cut, that will limit the amount of angles I can shoot from.
8. BE ON TIME! The sun is only out for so long! The later you arrive, the less time we have to shoot! And nobody wants that!
9. Clean the ring! I love to shoot a few rings shots while you change outfits! The cleaner the better!
10. Relax! You don’t have to be a pro at this! I’m going to help you along the way and it’s going to be a blast! The more relaxed you are, the better your photos will be.
11. Make it a Date! I tell all my couples to go out to dinner afterwards and the session a part of date night! You will be put into romantic poses all afternoon, a date will be exactly what you need! And, what an awesome way to make the session something to look even more forward to?!
12. Do something you enjoy! Challenge yourselves to think about your shared interests. Is it cooking together? Playing board games? And then ask yourselves, would that make for a good photo op?! Sessions are way more fun for the both of you if you’re doing something you enjoy. Check out my 57 Ideas For Your Engagement Session!